Saturday, July 31, 2010

Read an entire Freelance writing book yesterday!

The book is called Getting Started as a Freelance Writer by Robert W. Bly.

It was well written, and kept my attention from beginning to end. I must admit there were a few paragraphs here and there that didn't really pertain to me so I breezed over them with a quick scan.

He starts with discussing what and how you need to set up your home office and your schedule. Goes on to money matters, fee negotiations and such. Then Bly talks alot about self-promotion throughout the book but Chapter 8 is devoted to it. It makes sense if your self-employed to self-promote. He gives great suggestions.

The hardest part for me, is probably what should be the easiest. He says early on that I need to pick specialties, things I know about or have experience in to write about. Bly says not to have more than three. I can't think of one good one. UGH! He has a Bachelor's in Chemical Engineering, there is one of his specialties, he worked in marketing and direct mail is another of his specialties.

I have always been the "jack of all trades and master of none" type of person. I've cooked in restraunts, raised and raising four kids, homeschooled for several years, opened and closed a business, I'm crafty, and I can sew clothes.

I keep coming back to homeschooling to write about I researched the idea before I homeschooled for a year and then I was very involved and researching things for several years as we were homeschooling. I have been out of the loop for a little while but I think it would be easy enough to get back into researching even if I'm not actually homeschooling at this time.

So, I am off to research the world of homeschooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment